Have you ever wondered how you would stand up against your favorite college football players in a backyard flag football game? Some troops down range are about to find out.
Tostitos has teamed up with the USO for the first-ever “Salute the Troops” Bowl game to be held at an undisclosed base in Baghdad New Year’s Day.
Highlights from the all-star flag football event, which will pit military members against college football greats, will air during the 2010 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on FOX on Jan. 4.
Legendary football coaches Barry Switzer and Tommy Bowden will lead the two teams.
“Our military has some of the biggest college football fans you will ever find, and we are excited to be providing this once-in-a-lifetime experience for our troops that brings the energy and excitement of college bowl games directly to them,” said USO president Sloan Gibson in a news release.
Here is a roster of players, according to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Web site:
- Tee Martin: Led the 1998 University of Tennessee team to a perfect record of 13-0 during his junior year.
- Tommie Frazier: Led the Nebraska Cornhuskers in back-to-back NCAA National Championships in 1994 and 1995.
- Garrison Hearst: Standout running back for University of Georgia in the early 1990s.
- Ty Detmer: Legendary quarterback for Brigham Young University and winner of the Heisman Trophy in 1990.
- Rocket Ismail: Helped the University of Notre Dame win the NCAA National Championship in 1988.
- Tony Casillas: Helped win the 1985 NCAA National Championship for the University of Oklahoma and a two-time All-American.
- Brian Bosworth: College standout linebacker at the University of Oklahoma in the mid-1980s and the winner of the first two Butkus Awards.
- Bruce Smith: Finished his college career at Virginia Tech in 1984 as one of the most honored players in Hokie history.
- Joe Washington: Two-time first-team All-American at the University of Oklahoma in the mid-1970s.