This is what both coaches need to go over with their teams during halftime.
For Army coach Rich Ellerson:
- Coverage by the secondary must tighten on Navy receivers. They are letting Navy’s wide receivers run free.
- The offensive line and receivers must maintain the blocks. Too often they are allowing Navy to come off initial contact and make tackles for a loss or no gain.
- The offense has got to make first downs. Each one of these three-and-outs is wearing down Army’s defense.
For Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo:
- HOLD the ball. I’m looking at you Ricky Dobbs, who fumbled three times in the first half.
- Better tackling. Navy had Army’s offense bottled up until they got sloppy on their tackling and allowed Army to convert their 4th down.
- Maintain your intensity and focus – Army will come out fired up. This game is not over, especially if Dobbs keeps handing Army players the ball.